Monday, April 7, 2008


Joshua Tree © 2008 Jackie Bass


Standing by the lone road that snakes its way across the Joshua Tree National Park, I waited patiently for my husband to ride by on the latest test bike we were photographing. Taking action shots of motorcycles involves a lot of passes for the rider, and a lot of exercise for the picture taker. The sun was baking my skin to a likeness of red leather, while the 6 pound camera was killing my neck. I grumbled under my breath, shifted my weight and pierced my heal with a cacti. Yes, this is what I chose for a living but at this moment in time I was questioning my sanity, not to mention, some of those cactus spines really hurt.

The sun moves faster when it's about to punch the clock at the end of the day, not unlike many people at their workplace ready to go home. One more go, I told Eric, and we'll go back to camp. I carefully picked my way over closing wildflowers and super spiny succulents, and... what was that? A still-convulsing lizard tail? No, it was a caterpillar, flipping this way and that, squirming.... fighting for its life as large black ants all over dragged it down their hole.

Perhaps I should try to save it? Perhaps I should quickly squash it so it doesn't have to be eaten alive? But it was gone, down the hole, it's number had been called. Life is harsh for those who live in the desert, and it kind of puts things in perspective.

Eric on Benelli Tre-K © 2008 Jackie Bass



No comments: