Sunday, December 9, 2007

Photographing Cars 1.0 DVD

After finally tracking down a copy of "Photographing Cars 1.0" I was so excited to view this DVD about a pro shooting cars. I'm no stranger to photographing vehicles, be they 2 wheeled or 4 (or 3, or 6) but I always am on the look out for tips, tricks, or cool ideas.

This movie is put out by Photoflex, a photographic lighting company (which is odd because none of their lights were used) and on the cover of the box shows studio shots, action shots being taken from a helicopter, and him taking a portrait of a race car driver.

I REALLY wanted to see a clip of the helicopter shoot, because that's what I'd like to try. Unfortunately, in the 17 minute long (!) movie, none of that was covered. Actually, all that was covered were a few of these points:

1. Make sure your car is clean (nah, really? I thought bird crap added character!)
2. Use expensive equipment (not how to use it, why it was so great, or anything. Just "I use a Fischer Softbox, it runs on 10 powerpacks" CUT!)
3. Make sure you know how to use your equipment (he wouldn't stop emphasizing this, but really, that should be a given)

All the while, you mostly saw special video effects, an assistant painting the studio floor, and him hanging out of a camera car blindly shooting a moving car.

I think this was the first time I watched an instructional video that taught me nothing. Anyone who doesn't know how to operate their camera, or know that the object they're shooting should be clean..... just isn't a serious photographer.

I want my 17 minutes back!

No comments: